I was nominated by Karla Pitzen for the Versatile Blogger Award. I started blogging because I wanted to encourage moms. I’m a work-at-home mom with three kids. My oldest is five and reads chapter books in her head (more about that here), my middle child was born with a heart defect and now has autism (read about that here and here), and my youngest, so far, is thankfully normal!
I studied music in college before I had kids, and have written tons of songs, as well as led worship for church. That activity has greatly diminished as my hands are busy juggling my three littles and a very part-time job. I’ve worked for years for Starfish Learning Center – a non profit after school program in Chicago’s inner city. Fortunately, I’m now able to continue my work from home, which is primarily grant writing, design work and publication, and social media marketing.
But enough about me! I’d like to thank Karla from handsonworkingmom.com for the nomination. Karla is a Christian working mom blogger like me, also a bit of an older mom, like me (read her article about that here), and she started a Facebook blogger group that has helped me get the word out about my blog.
“The Versatile Blogger Award is for newer or smaller blogs, like mine. It was created to encourage engagement with fellow bloggers – to lift each other up and support each others’ hard work.”(thanks, Karla, for the description) Upon accepting this nomination, I am to nominate some other blogs. I am very pleased to nominate the following:
Leah Martin, from mylittlerobins.com.
Leah shares on her blog about applying Charlotte Mason principles to teaching smaller children. Leah has lots of great ideas for the homeschooling mom. Leah is a former educator-turned SAHM who is also a Christian.
Suzanne Curtiss, from mamacurtiss.com.
Suzanne is another Christian SAHM blogger. Suzanne gave up nursing to stay at home with her little girl. “Mama Curtiss” blogs about everything motherhood, from 6 things to do without Internet, to yummy recipes.
Georgiana Daniels, from spunkymoms.com.
Georgiana is a SAHM who blogs about homeschool and everything she does to make life great for her family. She also shares her experiences with blogging to help other bloggers grow. Georgiana’s lovely list posts will give you great ideas and inspire you.
Lacey Hanson, from smalltownsolace.com.
Lacey is a writer/designer turned mom/blogger who writes about life, her relationship with God, and motherhood. Lacey brings the small-town feel to the blogosphere so city moms like me can get a taste of what we’re missing ?.
And now, for seven random facts about me.
1. I looooove reading fiction. I’m actually pausing writing this to read alongside my prodigy-reader daughter (read about that here). I read 52 books a year two years in a row. My blog is killing my reading stats, though.
2. I don’t actually love cooking. It’s a necessary evil. I love baking, but that widens my thighs, so I try to avoid it.
3. I think outside is magic. Except in the winter. California born and raised, I’m tolerating Midwest weather. Barely.
4. I LOVE the International House of Prayer in Kansas City. I did a four month internship there. They’re all about learning the Word, loving Jesus, and perpetual worship and prayer.
5. I care about people, but not so much what they think of me. I don’t get offended easily and don’t understand people who do.
6. I’m terrible at exercise. I’m usually an on-for-two-months/off-for-six kind of a person.
7. Which is too bad, because I love sweets! Mainly ice cream and chocolate, but just about anything works.
If you liked this post, you might like 10 Tips to Grow Your Social Media Following and Promote Your Blog.